Friday, December 7

Setting the bar low

As I mentioned earlier this week, I'm running 13.1 tomorrow without pre-race rest days (read: run-streak) and somewhat under-trained (read: injury).

I'm not even going to pretend that I'm racing* tomorrow.

So.

Source: google.com via Linda on Pinterest
I'm setting my goals low for this race.
Like you've-got-to-be-kidding-me-that's-not-a-goal low.
Thank goodness it's a race, not a limbo contest.


  • A-goal: Stick with the plan to take 90-second walk breaks every 15 minutes. Consider the race a training run for January/February half marathons.

  • B-goal: Wake up. Brush teeth. Tie shoes. Drive to starting line. Waddle through 13.1 miles and celebrate with brunch and a beer.

  • C-goal: Show up on time. (If you don't know this story, you should...)


*Important detail: The entry fee was $20. It's much easier to think of a race as a slightly-pricey course-supported training run when it doesn't cost more than my favorite pair of running shoes.

Have you ever run a race as a training run?
How do you set goals for important events?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?