Friday, June 7

Weekly roundup: Friday potluck

Welcome to another installment of the weekly roundup we all know and love: Friday potluck! This week's theme? Oh, hell, it's a potluck. There is no theme this week. Just be happy no one brought jello salad.


HOW TO MAKE A JOGGER ANGRY

The Angry Jogger put together a list of comments we're all sick of hearing from non-runners, including the eternal runner vs. jogger debate. My favorite on AJ's list: "I only run when someone is chasing me!"

One corollary "I only run when" comment AJ missed, and one that annoys me most:
"You ran how far? I wouldn't DRIVE that far."
(Um... of course you wouldn't. You lack both motivation and wit.)


BUT(ter)...WHAT?

Just when you think she can't take her diabetes-inducing cooking to new lows, Paula Deen launches a new line of flavored butters for sale at Wal-Mart.

*shudder*


NOT SO FAST!

There is good news on the nutrition horizon! Fast food accounts for a smaller share of calories in the U.S. diet!

Before you go cheering a return to slow-cooked, home-grown meals, note that the report from CDC shows fast food calories as a share of daily caloric intake... So it may be that Americans are eating just as much fast food as they did five years ago, they're just eating more calories overall.


THIRTY'S THE NEW TWENTY
Source: someecards.com via Jana on Pinterest
 
Yep. I'm glad I lived that decade, and you couldn't pay me to re-live the era when I lost more than one pair of shoes because a stranger hurled on 'em at a bar.
(I'd MUCH rather lose a pair of shoes because a runner hurls on 'em at a finish line.)


PARK IT

ParkScore ranks cities by the level of public park access.

Does your hometown make the list of Top 10 Cities for Parks?
(My score: I've lived in 2 and traveled to all but one of the top 10...)


IN MY KITCHEN...
Mmm... coffee!

Yep, I'm still a coffee addict.

I drink (mostly) decaf now, and will for the next few months, but it's good to know that my habit is a healthy one.

According to the New England Journal of Medicine, coffee drinkers have higher mortality risk than non-drinkers BUT coffee drinkers are also more likely to be smokers.

Once you account for the effects of smoking, coffee drinkers are healthier than non-coffee-drinkers! (The NYTimes has a good summary of the findings in: "This is your brain on coffee.")


QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"Bad weather always looks worse through a window."
Tom Lehrer

HAPPY FRIDAY, FRIENDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?