|Old Schoolhouse, Fort Walton Beach, FL|
In many ways, each semester is like training for a long race:
- 16 weeks of preparation.
- A detailed plan that serves as a guide for each week's work.
- Goals! Both teaching and race-training have a clear goal at the end of the cycle.
- A mix of really great days and not-so-great days.
- Doubt. (Can I really get all this work done in 16 weeks? Am I doing this right?)
- The flurry of activity right before the finale.
- Carbs! (On the final day of class I usually host an in-class meal of some sort.)
- A feeling of accomplishment (and exhaustion) when it's over.
- A good, long rest when it's all done.
- A week or two later, I'm planning the next one...
Yep. Teaching is just like marathon training.
And during the winter break, I fully intend to enjoy a well-deserved rest...
Are there parallels between your work life and fitness life?
What are you thankful for this week?