Thursday, August 15

Training for two: week 28

Here are the workout details from week 28...
Hello third trimester!!!
Goodbye energy and speed!

Friday: 3 mile walk

Saturday: 3 mile (tourist-y) walk along the National Mall and Tidal Basin
View of the Jefferson Memorial across the Tidal Basin

Sunday: 3 mile walk along the Mount Vernon Trail

Monday: 2 mile walk

Tuesday: 2 mile walk + prenatal yoga video

Wednesday: 2 mile walk

Thursday: 2 mile walk


THE TALLY:
17 miles walked  + 0 miles run + 1 prenatal yoga session

My only observations this week: Holy hell have I slowed down in the past two weeks. Carrying around 25 extra pounds is getting exhausing...


WHAT I LOVED READING THIS WEEK:

YES! Emily Oster's article "Take Back Your Pregnancy" in the Wall Street Journal summarizes exactly what I found (and what I've felt about) pregnancy "wisdom" vs. old wives' tales. (In case you missed it, you can see my full rant about misguided and mis-informed "helpful" advice from June... and my rave about the book Exercising Through Your Pregnancy -- a book full of fact-based advice for fit moms.)

I cannot wait to read Oster's new book "Expecting Better," when it comes out later this year. If the book is anywhere near as well-written as the essay, it will be a much-needed addition to the prenatal literature. (Note: Had it gone to print sooner, Oster's book would've saved me many hours surfing the academic journal databases during my office hours last semester...)

My only regret is that, given my day job as a statistician and the hours/days/weeks I put into researching my own prenatal decisions, I didn't write a similar book sooner.



Public Service Message from Captain Obvious: These posts are not intended to be a set of week-by-week pregnancy workout guidelines. Every woman needs to do what's right for her and her baby, with a doctor's guidance, of course. I'd just like to keep y'all up to date on how things are going in my little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?