Thursday, October 10

Training for two: week 36

Here are the workout details from week 36...
With the close of week 36, baby will officially be "full term." Now the question is: will he arrive sooner? Or later? Based on the size of the "bump" I'm hoping for sooner...
The bump at 36 weeks


Friday: 2 mile walk

Saturday: Prenatal yoga

Sunday: REST

Monday: 2 mile walk

Tuesday: 2 mile walk

Wednesday: 2 mile walk

Thursday: 2 mile walk


THE TALLY:
10 miles walked  + 0 miles run + 1 yoga class
(Is this really my lowest mileage week so far? Yikes!)


WHAT I LOVED READING THIS WEEK:

I finally read The Happiest Baby on the Block.

Is the book worth reading?
Absolutely!
I think the baby calming techniques (swaddling, side or stomach lying, shushing, swinging, and sucking) are brilliant.

BUT, to be completely honest, I thought the book was poorly written.

The text is chopped up with quotes, anecdotes, and illustrations thrown in, seemingly, at random. It would benefit from some serious editing help.*

That said, I have been practicing my swaddling technique, and I'm all for swinging my baby if it will help him stop crying.

Fortunately, there's a Happiest Baby video that goes into detail on how to swaddle, shush, and swing properly... and skips over all of the silly anecdotes.

So... the bottom line here is: if you have to pick one, skip the book and buy The Happiest Baby On The Block video instead.


*Note: The "research" on traditional cultures, like the !Kung, gives the merest lip-service to a unique method of child-rearing, while providing almost no anthropological detail (or source notes!) about the cultural norms and values at play. (To be fair... I'm a demographer/sociologist. If I see a culture held up as a "great example" of "how to do things right," I expect more detail. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on a baby book... but then again, if you're going to tell me that there is a "right" way to calm a baby, it seems reasonable expect more than "this other group does this thing, and it seems to work for them.")


Public Service Message from Captain Obvious: These posts are not intended to be a set of week-by-week pregnancy workout guidelines. Every woman needs to do what's right for her and her baby, with a doctor's guidance, of course. I'd just like to keep y'all up to date on how things are going in my little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?