Thursday, October 17

Training for two: week 37

37 weeks down... and now that we're entering week 38, baby could show up tomorrow or three weeks from now. (Fun facts: Did you know that 37 weeks and up is "full term" and that "due date" is just the midpoint between week 38 and 42 - the weeks when most babies are born?)


Friday: 1 mile walk + squats, lunges, and upper-body strength training

Saturday: REST
The swing is awesome, but
literally takes up half the living room...
(And built an infant swing - which now takes up half of our living room - and figured out how to work the Pack-n-Play. Score!)


Sunday: 2 mile walk + 2-hour nap!
Thanks to nighttime kicks, I'm not sleeping more than 2 or 3 hours at a time anymore. Napping seems much more productive than exercise.

Monday: 3 mile walk

Tuesday: 1 mile walk + prenatal yoga

Wednesday: 2 mile walk

Thursday: Morning workout was swapped for a prenatal checkup


THE TALLY:
9 miles walked  + 0 miles run + 1 yoga video and some strength training
(Yeah... last week I thought I'd pick up the pace and get in more mileage this week. Instead I napped more. And I don't regret it at all.)


WHAT I LOVED READING THIS WEEK:

The Runner Dad's post "The First Four Weeks" is the kind of prepare-for-the-worst parenting essay I love best. Here's what I wrote to him in response...
"With baby #1 due any day now, I have to admit that I love reading these stories.
I'd rather hear how HARD it's going to be than have some false sense of security that the first month of baby care is supposed to be all sunshine and roses... only to be blindsided that it IS hard.
(Better to be pleasantly surprised than knocked for a loop, right?)
It's sort of like standing at mile 24 of a marathon and watching runners' faces... Seeing the pain, you get a sense of what you're in for when you run your own race. That's MUCH better training than hearing stories from runners, 6 months later - when their muscles are no longer cramping and they can walk up and down stairs without wincing - that it's the "best thing they ever did in life."


Public Service Message from Captain Obvious: These posts are not intended to be a set of week-by-week pregnancy workout guidelines. Every woman needs to do what's right for her and her baby, with a doctor's guidance, of course. I'd just like to keep y'all up to date on how things are going in my little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?