Tuesday, April 23

Training at 12 weeks...

Earlier this year I started a weekly post of my 5k training plan and workouts. I got through week 8 before I realized I was training for two, and I decided that speedy racing goals would take a back seat to staying fit for a healthy baby. So the training posts fell by the wayside...

But I enjoyed the routine of those weekly posts, so they're coming back.

Early on I read up on pregnancy exercise, had a detailed conversation with my doctor about my workout habits, and got the all-clear from her before I figured out my fitness plan. I would recommend the same to everyone: educate yourself PLUS listen to your doctor's guidance.

For the past 8 weeks, my workouts looked a lot like this:

  • Monday: 60 minutes on the stationary bike* + 25 minutes of strength training**

  • Tuesday: 30 minute run + nap***

  • Wednesday: yoga OR stationary bike + strength training + nap***

  • Thursday: 30 minute run (sometimes pool-running & lap-swimming) + nap***

  • Friday: NAP!!!

  • Saturday: 30 minute run or 45 minutes on the stationary bike + nap***

  • Sunday: 4-7 mile hike + nap***

*I'd make it through a full hour of cardio when I wasn't so tired I could fall asleep sitting up.

**For strength training, I have had good luck with the Fitness Blender 100 Rep Workout, with a slightly modified version of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred series, and with the "morning" workout in Karen Voight's Streamline FitnessHOWEVER, it is important to note that I do modify or skip/swap-out some moves because there are a few exercises that pregnant women should avoid. Don't take my advice for it: check with your doctor.

***For what it's worth, I have never been a napper. For 30-something years I've taken 1, maybe 2 naps a year -- the afternoon after my longest training run of a half-marathon or marathon training cycle. Baby had different plans, and I napped nearly every day for the first 10 weeks. (Maybe this is advance planning for November when I'll never sleep again???)


With less running and more strength training, I reached a major strength milestone about a week ago: THREE un-assisted chin-ups/pull-ups!


Public Service Message from Captain Obvious: These posts are not intended to be a set of week-by-week pregnancy workout guidelines. Every woman needs to do what's right for her and her baby, with a doctor's guidance, of course. I'd just like to keep y'all up to date on how things are going in my little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?