Saturday, August 18

Can do

This morning was the first Saturday morning in months that did not involve a crack-of-dawn alarm clock. The reason: no morning run on the schedule thanks to a bout of plantar fasciitis.

It's been six days of no running. By all accounts I should be going bonkers.

But here's the thing...
I stumbled across this quote and it has become my recovery mantra:
"When you catch yourself slipping into a pool of negativity, notice how it derives from nothing other than resistance to the current situation."
Donna Quesada, The Buddha in the Classroom: Zen Wisdom to Inspire Teachers
So...
I'm trying not to fight the situation.

  • I can't run, but I can catch up on my reading goals for the year.
  • I can't run, but I can spend an hour on my stationary bike in the cool sanctuary of my air conditioned living room.
  • I can't run, but I can spend a morning preparing class materials for the start of fall semester.
  • I can't run, but I can fill the refrigerator with fresh produce and make delicious meals like whole wheat pasta with broccoli rabe and spicy chicken sausage.
  • I can't run, but I can sleep in one day for a change.
  • I can't run, but I can go to yoga class for the first time since May.


There is only one "can't" but there are a whole lot of "can-dos."

(PS - Dear readers, please remind me of this mantra if I still can't run 3 weeks from now and the effects of good these intentions wear off...)

What can you do this weekend that makes you happy?

2 comments:

  1. That quote was seriously just what I've been needing to read. I hope your PF clears up soon and that you CAN run in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always impressed by your attitude, missus- that's a great way to look at it! Hope recovery goes well... :)

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?