Friday, May 10

Weekly roundup: new home edition

Welcome to another installment of the weekly roundup we all know and love: Friday potluck!

This week's theme: I'm officially a Virginia resident! (And a homeowner!)


People Power

Waiting around for utility companies to re-start my water, electric, and gas service was a bear. If I had been really crafty, I could've skipped the whole waiting game entirely and used running to generate power for my home. Really! Runners generated electricity at the Paris marathon. Why can't I try that at home?
(Thanks to Chi for sharing the link!)


Stupid People Tricks

I think I'm going to register for a giant human bowling ball set as a housewarming gift...
Human bowling ball (image source)
... because, you know, we're not having fun until someone is zipped into a giant hamster toy.


Perspective

If I thought my week was stressful, with lost-appraisal chaos potentially delaying the closing date on our new home, the gas company "accidentally" cancelling my service appointment, and hubby and I spending a small fortune at home improvement stores... I was mistaken.

People who are having a worse day than you really put things in perspective.

(And if that Buzzfeed list of rough days isn't enough to prove that schadenfreude is alive and well, an Austrian hotelier was stuck in an elevator FOR FOUR DAYS.)


In My Kitchen...

This week my (new) kitchen had running water, but no hot water and no gas. So my culinary adventures were be limited to whatever the Whole Foods salad bar had to offer. (Could be worse, right?)


Quote of the week:
"Play not only keeps us young but also maintains our perspective about the relative seriousness of things. Running is play, for even if we try hard to do well at it, it is a relief from everyday cares."
Jim Fixx

... so now, I'm going out for a run!

Happy Friday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?