Friday, February 8

Weekly roundup: winter storm edition

Welcome to another installment of the weekly roundup we all know and love: Friday potluck!

First, before we go any further, let me say as a born-and-bred New Englander... No snowstorm should have a name. Ever. And if we insist on naming snowstorms, they most certainly should not be called Nemo. (He's a fish. Not a snowstorm! Who's responsible for this ridiculousness?)

For those of you in storm affected areas, I hope you've stocked up appropriately...

...and by appropriate, I mean restocking your party supplies and making sure your sleds are in good repair.


Flight cancellations

Airports all around the northeast are closed in advance of the storm, but that won't stop us from gossiping about them! Travel Leaders, an industry group, conducted a survey to identify the best (and worst) airports in the United States.

Top in almost every category: Atlanta.

The airport everyone loves to hate: Chicago O'Hare.

Neither of those ratings comes as a huge surprise. But I find it suspicious that airports like DFW wind up on both the "preferred for connections" and "avoid at all costs" lists.

The only two I really disagree with are: Phoenix taking a top 10 spot for connections (that airport is a sprawling mess) and Seattle not making top 10 on the amenities list! C'mon people. One of the best pedicures I ever had was in Sea-Tac!


Running in heels

Apparently the hottest new workout craze is step aerobics in stilettos!

Call me crazy, but I don't see a workout here. I see future bunions and broken ankles. Clearly these women haven't heard about the minimalist shoe movement... Maybe I should send along copies of Bad Shoes and the Women Who Love Them?


Cooking up a storm

This week our household culinary adventures included an experiment in making homemade gnocchi. (I had leftover mashed potatoes. It shouldn't have worked. But it did. And I will never look at mashed potatoes the same way again..)

And Hubby made flan.
Flan with spiced rum
We ate half of it during the Superbowl blackout...


What's your job... really?

NPR's Marketplace Money team asked people to describe their jobs in honest terms. The responses to "What's your job, really?" are hilarious.


Quote of the week:

This week's quote was proposed by my friend M. I couldn't have said it better myself...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'"
Hunter S. Thompson

Happy Friday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?