Tuesday, April 10

Bucket lists - food, running, travel

I'm a sucker for lists.
This morning I woke up to a note in my Facebook feed about the "100 foods to eat before you die." I had to try that challenge. (See below for details.)

The food list got me thinking about life lists. I went for a run, mentally putting together my "races I want to run before I die" list. I know Comrades and the Himalaya 100 are on my "dream race" list, but 2 races does not make a list. Plus, I'm working on "half-ing the 50 states" right now: One running bucket list at a time...

Speaking of states...

I returned to find a new list in my FB news: "How Many States Have You Been To?"
Now that's a list I already have!

For the record, my score is: visited 30 states (not including airport-only layovers), run in 19, raced in 6, and lived in 4.5 (4 of my own plus I spent enough time in Seattle when Hubby lived there to count it as my home-away-from-home).

Now for that food list...

1. Abalone (nope - I draw the "I'll try anything new" line at endangered...)
2. Absinthe
3. Alligator - Y (better I eat them than they eat me)
4. Baba Ghanoush - Y
5. Bagel & Lox - Y
6. Baklava - Y
7. BBQ Ribs - Y
8. Bellini - Y
9. Birds Nest Soup
10. Biscuits & Gravy  - Y
11. Black Pudding - Y
12. Black Truffle - Y
13. Borscht
14. Calamari - Y
15. Carp - Y
16. Caviar - Y (and loathe it)
17. Cheese Fondue - Y
18. Chicken & Waffles - Y
19. Chicken Tikka Masala - Y
20. Chile Relleno - Y
21. Chitlins - Y
22. Churros - Y (the best were from street carts in Tijuana)
23. Clam Chowder - Y (I grew up in New England. I'd never live it down if I didn't say "yes" to this one!)
24. Cognac - Y
25. Crab Cakes - Y
26. Crickets
27. Currywurst
28. Dandelion Wine
29. Dulce De Leche - Y
30. Durian
31. Eel - Y
32. Eggs Benedict - Y
33. Fish Tacos - Y
34. Foie Gras - Y
35. Fresh Spring Rolls - Y
36. Fried Catfish - Y
37. Fried Green Tomatoes - Y
38. Fried Plantain - Y
39. Frito Pie - Y
40. Frogs' Legs  - Y
41. Fugu
42. Funnel Cake - Y
43. Gazpacho - Y
44. Goat - Y
45. Goat's Milk
46. Goulash - Y
47. Gumbo - Y
48. Haggis
49. Head Cheese - Y
50. Heirloom Tomatoes - Y
51. Honeycomb - Y
52. Hostess Fruit Pie - Y
53. Huevos Rancheros - Y
54. Jerk Chicken - Y
55. Kangaroo
56. Key Lime Pie - Y
57. Kobe Beef - Y
58. Lassi - Y
59. Lobster - Y (one of my favorites - and the best is fresh off the boats in New England)
60. Mimosa  - Y
61. Moon Pie - Y (you can't go to a Mardi Gras parade and not try one...)
62. Morel Mushrooms - Y
63. Nettle Tea
64. Octopus - Y
65. Oxtail Soup - Y
66. Paella - Y
67. Paneer - Y
68. Pastrami on Rye - Y
69. Pavlova - Y
70. Phaal
71. Philly Cheese Steak - Y
72. Pho - Y
73. Pineapple & Cottage Cheese - Y
74. Pistachio Ice Cream - Y
75. Po' Boy - Y (of course I have)
76. Pocky - Y
77. Polenta - Y
78. Prickly Pear - Y (puree in a drink)
79. Rabbit Stew - Y
80. Raw Oysters - Y (this is another.. of course I have)
81. Root Beer Float - Y
82. S'mores - Y
83. Sauerkraut - Y
84. Sea Urchin - Y
85. Shark - Y
86. Snail - Y
87. Snake - Y
88. Soft Shell Crab - Y
89. Som Tam - Y
90. Spaetzle - Y
91. Spam - Y
92. Squirrel
93. Steak Tartare - Y
94. Sweet Potato Fries - Y
95. Sweetbreads - Y
96. Tom Yum - Y
97. Umeboshi - Y
98. Venison - Y (yes, and the best I've ever had was given to me by a neighbor)
99. Wasabi Peas - Y
100. Zucchini Flowers - Y

My total: 85.
(Silly facebook says most people only get 20. What people are they asking???)
Honestly, I could have added a few more to this list... I was surprised that Ostrich, Crawfish, and Jellyfish did not make the top 100. There weren't many exotic fruist or vegetables on the list either (except durian... eww!). And some of the foods that did make the list were not a stretch at all...

**late update: Christine clued me in on the Beer List Challenge. I'm almost halfway through that list, too.**

How many states have you visited? Run in?
How many of the foods have you tried? (And what's the most unusual or unique?)
And... Last, but not least, what races are on your bucket list?

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, so I got 83. Don't know who they're asking that get only 20.

    And don't forget to put Bay to Breakers on your list! It's not a "dream" race, but it's fun and semi-iconic. And then you get to come visit MEEEE!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely don't experiment as much, I only got 31 for foods. I tried the beer list challenge too, and while I try new beers often, it seems that I can't remember the names ( I wonder why....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a beer list somewhere? This is one I need to find...

      Delete
  3. That list is interesting. I didn't do a full count...I was definitely more than 20 but also a good number less than you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing we both saw this on Facebook today! I was surprised at how many people said 20 as well. I have probably visited 20+ states but only raced in two. My brother and I have a competition going on over who has visited the most countries. I'm winning by a lot but now he's 19 and I'm an old married woman living in America so I think he's going to catch up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately my country list is still pretty short, but travel is a lifetime endeavor, right? ;)

      Delete
  5. Too funny. Haggis over head cheese any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? I've never had haggis, but it just looks so... Mushy? Is it actually good?

      Delete
  6. I hit 60 on the food list, but I think it's relative to the person who created it. There would be some things I would drop and others I would add.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?