Goal - Run Faster:
5k in less than 24 minutes
While I was consistent about form drills, speedwork, and other pace-improving activities through the winter and spring, summer heat has sapped my speed. December looks much more promising...
**Late breaking update: I ran a 5k this morning, but the goal remains elusive. Race report will be posted tomorrow.**
Goal - Run Longer:
Complete 5 half marathons
Progress: (1) Gulf Shores, (2) New Orleans, (3) Pensacola Beach.
A fall marathon would round out this list because 2 half marathons = 1 whole marathon, right?
Goal - Learn New Things:
Read 15 non-fiction books
Progress: When I last checked in on this goal, I was way behind schedule with only one non-fiction book completed by April.
I blamed it on a winter and spring of working two jobs.
Now school's out for summer, and I am proud to report that I've polished off five (5!) non-fiction books in the past 8 weeks (ok... ok... 2 of them were nearly done back in April). I need to maintain my blistering reading pace since reading-for-fun will come to a screeching halt when school starts up again.
Goal - Travel/Explore:
Visit one new-to-me place every month
Progress: Six solid months of exploring like a tourist.
- January: Gulf Shores, AL
- February: Indian Temple Mound museum in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- March: A jazz club, Maison, in New Orleans
- April: This month was a new-to-us trail double header.
- The Blackwater Trail 10k took Hubby and me to a part of the Florida backwoods we'd never seen before. (So new, in fact, that I nearly skipped the race out of fear that I'd get lost...)
- We followed that up with a hike in the Naval Live Oaks National Park
- May: Audubon Park in New Orleans. (Given the number of times I've been to NOLA, it's a serious shame that this trip was my first visit to Audubon Park...)
- June: Another two-fer!
Goal - New 2 U Cross Training Challenge:
Just ask Kim...
Progress: Six months and still going strong!