Thursday, January 10

Need for speed (in search of the elusive PR)

After much soul-searching, this year I am seriously considering have one, and only one, running goal:

break the 24 minute barrier in the 5k.

I may run a half marathon for fun. I may sign up for a trail race to break up my training. But the only thing I really care about this year is breaking my PR (and maybe taking 1st in an AG).

There is only one way to accomplish that goal: speedwork.

With that in mind, I've set up a training calendar that focuses on shorter distances, weekly speedwork, and strength training. While injured last year, I spent several weeks sidelined from running, but I went back to lifting weights three days per week. Oddly, at the end of that time my endurance was gone, but my shorter-distance pace was in decent shape.

And, let's face it, if my race reports are any indication, I am not the world's best half marathon runner. I do, however, love the rush of a 5k.

In the pursuit of my 5k goal, I'm going to document my training and racing attempts.

This week's plan:
  • Monday: strength circuit + stationary bike
  • Tuesday: speedwork intervals (6 x 400 with 1 minute rest intervals)
  • Wednesday: yoga
  • Thursday: 3-5 mile easy run + strength circuit
  • Friday: rest day (maybe a long, leisurely walk)
  • Saturday: 8 miles
  • Sunday: fun workout -- anything goes

What are your thoughts on speedwork and interval training? Love it? Hate it? Never tried it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?