Saturday, January 28

Data Privacy Day vs. 11 Random Things

The Running Historian and the Sweet Tooth Runner tagged me for Eleven Random Things. Just Keep Running tagged me for 7... And what better way is there to honor National Data Privacy Day than posting a bunch of personal stuff on the interwebs?
Update 1/29/2012 - Alma also tagged me! Head over to The Average Woman's Running Blog to see how I answered her 11. (See the comments section of this post.)
The rules are: (1) Post these rules. (2) You must post 11 random things about yourself. (3) Answer the questions set for you in their post. (4) Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer (5) Go to their blog and tell them you’ve tagged them (6) No stuff in the tagging section about "you are tagged if you are reading this." You legitimately have to tag people! It's my blog and I can do what I want in it.
11 randoms + pictures! = i was bad at math...
  1. I have a fondness for peanut butter that is borderline unhealthy (like a jar-per-week habit), but it is better than an addiction to meth, right?
  2. Look how beautiful it is!
  3. I lost a toenail once (5 years ago) running a marathon. I now have 2 that look like they're ready to jump ship, but so far, I've only ever lost the one.
  4. I grew up swearing I'd never live in California... Then I did.
  5. Once I lived in California, I swore I'd never leave... Then I did. The moral of this story: Never swear.
  6. I swear. A lot. If my life were on television, the FCC fines could eliminate the budget deficit, but somehow I manage to keep the blog PG-13.
  7. My closet is filled with fancy dresses and gym clothes. I have little in between. Working from home is only partly to blame.
  8. I won't run without my toe socks, which is funny, because I mocked them when I first saw them. Now I'm a zealot.
  9. I lived without a TV for many years, and never felt like I was missing out. Hubby owned a 40-something inch flat screen when we met. Now I get excited when Big Bang Theory is on. My how life changes...
  10. Source: Nationaal Archief
  11. I have a very soft spot in my heart for Lady Gaga.
  12. I believe in Karma.
  13. I nearly failed trigonometry in junior high. Now I (successfully) do math as my day job. The moral of this story: Don't quit!
  14. Source: a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net via Beth on Pinterest
Raquelita's questions for me:

1. If you had to enter a different profession from your current one, what would it be?
I used to dream of being a chef, because I love to cook. But cooking and chef-ness are not the same. Now I think I'd become a librarian.

2. Apart from running, what is your favorite way to work out?
Yoga.
Hands down.
Image source
(What? Not punny?)

3. Would you consider yourself a dog person or a cat person?
This must be a trick question. Who could resist a face like this?

4. If you could spend the day with one celebrity, who would it be and why?
It would be a toss up between Hillary Clinton or Condoleezza Rice -- to pick either brain about politics, power, and attitudes toward women in the workplace.

5. What is your favorite thing to cook?
Cooking (anything) is my stress-relief. No matter how bad a day is, I can chop and mix and saute my way to at least one accomplishment. That said, I'm most proud of baking bread.

6. Where did you grow up?
In the smallest state in the union (with the longest name).

7. What is the last book that you read?
John Irving's A Widow for One Year.

8. Why did you go to the college that you attended?
Undergrad - for the scholarship money. Grad - program reputation and location.

9. What is your favorite kind of ice cream?
Maple walnut... but I rarely see maple outside of the northeast?
10. If money were no object and there was no need for concern about exploitative means of production or harm to the environment, what would you splurge on?
Travel.
Definitely travel.

11. Why did you decide to start blogging?
I moved to a new place, had no friends (here), and my work schedule dropped to 30 hours/week. So I figured I'd use all my new-found boredom free time to obsess about running and maybe meet some like-minded souls.

12. What did you eat for breakfast?
Besides 3 cups of coffee?
Scrambled eggs with broccoli and feta. One of the perks of working from home -- I can have green eggs (and ham) every day!
Source: plus.google.com via Beth on Pinterest

...and Emma's questions:

1. What is your biggest goal/dream right now?
Finishing these 11 questions?

2. Which place in the world would you like to visit the most, and why?
My parents' back yard. I travel all the time, but I don't get back home very often.
Parents' back yard - where you can pick your dinner, literally.

3. What is your favourite book?
Hadji Murat by Leo Tolstoy. One of the few books I've read several times.

4. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A chef.

5. What has been the best moment in your life so far?
The moments I like best are the everyday awesome ones. So this week: Coming home, after a late night of teaching, to find Hubby elbow-deep in pasta. He made homemade mac & cheese so I wouldn't have to cook. It's the little things...

6. Your favourite colour?
Red.

7. If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be?
Stephanie Germanotta.


8. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Extrovert! (And a loud one, too.)

9. If you could run any race, what would it be?
Comrades Marathon in South Africa.

10. Do you have any fears or phobias?
Nothing severe, but I dislike being in enclosed spaces. Those "warrior" races that make you swim through a narrow tunnel...? Yea... That won't be me.
Image source
11. In a film of your life, which actress would play you?
Tina Fey!

11 questions for the next victims (ahem...) tagged bloggers:
  1. What is one bad habit you want to break?
  2. What is the best compliment you have ever received?
  3. If you were stranded on a desert island and had a case of food -- only one type of food -- what would it be?
  4. If you could have a beer with any person (living or dead) who would it be?
  5. What is your biggest pet peeve?
  6. Favorite song of all time?
  7. Guilty pleasure song? (You know - that one you rock out to when no one else is listening...)
  8. Favorite vacation location?
  9. Are you a re-reader or one-and-done?
  10. What is the career you secretly dream about starting when you retire from your current job?
  11. The place you wish you were right now, instead of being at a computer?
Tag, you're it!
Just Keep Running (you haven't gotten the 11 yet, right?)
... My method here: Introducing you all to some wonderful new(ish) blogs -- most of the "mature" bloggers have been tagged already! So... if you haven't gotten steamrolled by 11-things yet, and you want to join the fun, send me a note and I'll tag you!

Everyone else... what's your answer to #4 - If you could have a beer with any person, who would it be?

4 comments:

  1. haha peanut butter mysteriously disappears in our house, too. :) Thanks for the tag- not much that's blog-worthy at the moment, so it's nice to have a push to write! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved learning so much about you! A beer with anyone - Bil Clinton. Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey - thanks for the return tag! :) I got tagged already so I'll do a combo one - these posts take me forever! Your parent's backyard looks awesome! I wish I had space like that to grow stuff! Really enjoyed learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?