Friday, December 30

Goals, not resolutions

Photo credit
Resolutions. Bah. Humbug!
Resolutions are for sissies.

New Year's is one of my favorite holidays. I love the "year in review" recaps, and I love the bright, shiny expanse of a new year rolling out ahead of me.

But, for me, resolutions sort of suck the life out of the new year. Resolutions imply that we're unhappy about our current lives. Resolutions imply short-term changes on which we will never follow through.

Goals, on the other hand... Goals are different.

Goals set us up for success. Well-designed goals provide both a specific accomplishment and a clear path to achievement.

Goal: Spend more time here in 2012.
Case in point:
I could resolve to "get faster" in 2012.
But what does that mean?
So my goal will be more specific: run a sub 24 minute 5k, and do track work and hill repeats on alternating weeks until I beat my 5k PR.

I'm still working on my goal list... but a new 5k PR is priority #1.

(For more on my thoughts about goals vs. resolutions, see my recent piece for Examiner.com)

Are you a resolver? A goal setter?
What are your goals for the New Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?