Saturday, December 31

2011 in review

Miss Zippy posted a few "year in review" questions and asked readers to respond, so here goes:

Best race experience? Not gonna' lie -- small, local races became my favorite this year as I discovered that my possibility of placing increases in inverse proportion to the size of the race!
Third woman overall in a 5k... I'll take it!

Best run? My best running experience was during a half marathon... Not because it was my best pace ever (far from it!) but because after weeks of hip pain, my feet felt light for the first eight miles, and because I witnessed incredible kindness and encouragement between runners on the course.

Best new piece of gear? N/A.
I don't think I bought anything besides replacement shoes this year...
Oh wait... Headbands! A pack of cheap, cotton headbands from Target saved my dying, sweat-stung eyes on summer runs. Never needed those before moving to the Gulf Coast! (Thanks for nothing, Florida!)

Best piece of running advice you received? I don't know if this counts as a piece of advice, but I've had a helluva lot of fun streaking! I've always taken days off to "recover," but thanks to the gauntlet thrown down by Runner's world, I've run every day for more than 5 weeks in a row. I have a new appreciation for what my body is capable of.

Most inspirational runner? Matt Long, NY Firefighter who was hit by a bus, left with a 5 percent chance of survival. After numerous reconstructive surgeries and excruciating physical therapy, he recovered to run the NY Marathon and complete an Ironman tri. Sort of puts a "crappy long run" into perspective... His book, The Long Run, is one of the most compelling books I've read.

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Sweaty. (Thanks, again, Florida!)

How was your 2011? Best run? Best advice?
Fill in your answers in the comments or leave a link to your own blog post!

1 comment:

  1. Sweaty. Love it! You had a good year and the pump is primed for big things in 2012. Thanks for playing along and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?