Thursday, December 8

Thursday thanks

Thanks for: backbends and bagpipes.

It took me all day to write this post because I didn't want to "fake it."
I was having a glum day.
I still don't know many people in town, and Hubby has been away for two weeks now. The only adults I see during the day are my students (socializing with them outside of class hours is frowned upon) and grocery store clerks. (If I ask them "Hey. Do you want to get together for coffee?" They'll call security. I know. I was a grocery store clerk many years ago.)

But glum or not, I dragged my feeling-sorry-for-myself ass out of the house tonight to try a new yoga class.

Spoiler alert: Sometimes just a little change of scenery can turn a whole day around...

Parking at the yoga studio was jammed like Wal-Mart's front door on Black Friday. I nearly turned around to go back home. Why on earth was it so crowded? This neighborhood is never crowded on a Thursday!

I finally found a spot. Parallel parked. And started hoofing it over to the studio. That's when I discovered why the neighborhood was chock-a-block with people. The yoga studio is located near a public park. The park was hosting a Christmas carols concert!

I cut across the park to get to class. People were snuggling down on blankets and beach chairs with mugs of hot chocolate and cups of mulled wine. My parking-induced anxiety dulled, and I started humming along to the tunes.

I walked into the studio, and got a good feeling. (My favorite teacher moved away a few months ago, and I've been having a hard time finding another class that "fit.") Maybe it was the Christmas carols. Maybe I just needed to get out of the house and try something new. Either way, class was lovely. Challenging and relaxing. Exactly what I was looking for...

And during final relaxation, the sounds of a bagpipe band playing Deck the Halls filtered into the studio. Most people in class started giggling.

Really, how many times in life do you get bagpipe Christmas carols during yoga class?

If that's not something to be thankful for, I don't know what is.

What are you thankful for this week?

6 comments:

  1. This is lame, but I'm thankful for the knowledge that this week MUST end eventually. And it couldn't come fast enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just thankful for my family, my close friends, and being in good health. Wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful I'll be home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how something simple like that can turn the whole day around. Good for you to tune into that.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Caitlyn - That doesn't sound lame at all. It sounds very Zen, to me... nothing is permanent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you made yourself go and that it turned your day around! I can't imagine how hard it must be to not really know anyone and have your hubby gone. Sounds like you ended up having a really nice evening though!!
    Today I am thankful for lazy nights, I need a break and am glad that (after I run) hubs and I just get to chill together.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?