Tuesday, February 7

Fun with flour (or 1st time as Hare)

On Sunday Hubby and I were the Hares for our hares-and-hounds run! (For an explanation of hares-and-hounds running, see prior posts.)

Our mission: Take off 15 minutes before the other runners (aka "Hounds"), and mark a route - using flour and chalk - for the Hounds to follow. And don't get caught!

The route must be confusing enough that the Hounds don't catch us while we're marking the trail! (No simple out-and-back course allowed!) But the route must also be marked well enough that no runner or walker gets lost! (In our group there is one route for runners, and a split-off trail for walkers.)

Hares are also expected to set an "interesting" route (read: through playgrounds, over fences, or across fields, whatever...). To give you an example of "interesting" - a recent run took us straight through a downtown bar and out the bar's back door! (The bar knew about this beforehand, but we Hounds did not. It was a clever route, and it was hilarious to see the confused looks on bar patrons' faces.)
Hounds on the hunt!
Source: National Library of Ireland
I have to admit, I was both excited and nervous about the challenge of being a Hare. Some of the runners in the group are much faster than I am. Plus, I had a 15k meltdown during a race the day before. I worried: Would my legs hold up through another effort on Sunday?

In preparation, Hubby and I spent a good chunk of our "date night" on Saturday perched on barstools at a favorite restaurant, reviewing and annotating maps while we waited for a table to open up. We fine-tuned the route on Sunday morning, changed into running gear, and headed out to hash. An experienced Hare came along to show us the ropes, since this was our first time marking the trail.

I ran as fast as my little legs would take me (which is harder than it sounds when you're also supposed to be marking a trail)!

And, indeed, we outran the Hounds!

When we finished, we were exhausted and covered in dough.
(Flour + sweat = sticky mess!)
But it was FUN.

Where is the craziest place you have ever run?

4 comments:

  1. Well, now...that sounds like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a heck of a time. One of these days I'll take part in a hash. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome, so glad you had a good time! Sounds like great fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?