Goals: 3, Injury: 2As Madden would say, the momentum changed in this game. But then again, there's still lots of football left to play... Or running left to run...? Maybe I stretched this metaphor too far? Ahem. Back to the goals...
Back in January I set a few key goals for the year. Now there are only 3 months left to go before the calendar rolls over to a new year. This means, of course, it's time for a goal checkup.
Goal - Run Faster:
5k in less than 24 minutes
Progress: While I continue to place in the top 10 percent of the field, high temperatures and humidity meant that my summer 5k didn't even crack the 25 minute barrier. (Boo!)
Then PF and a calf strain struck. (Double and triple boo!) Speed work is off the table for at least another few weeks while my leg goes back to normal.
While my sub-24 minute goal remains, it may become a 2013 goal...
(Boo! And hiss!)
Goal - Run Longer:
Complete 5 half marathons
Progress: (1) Gulf Shores, (2) New Orleans, (3) Pensacola Beach.
Having run all 3 of those races before May, I have nothing new to report. (Are there even half marathons on the Gulf Coast in July, August, and September?)
I had no summer distance racing plans, but was keeping up my mileage with October and November half marathons in mind. Then... (see note above).
I need to make sure I'm fully recovered before I return to long distance training. Going to fast, and too far, too soon set me back a few weeks once already. I won't make that mistake again.
Fortunately, after a couple of successful runs last week, I am feeling more confident that I'll be running long again before year-end. I've got my eye on some late-November / early-December races.
I might pull this one off yet!
Goal - Learn New Things:
Read 15 non-fiction books
Progress: 10.5 books down, 5 to go!
Goal - Travel/Explore:
Visit one new-to-me place every month
Progress: Still exploring like a tourist!
- January: Gulf Shores, AL
- February: Indian Temple Mound museum in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- March: A jazz club, Maison, in New Orleans
- April: This month was a new-to-us trail double header.
- The Blackwater Trail 10k took Hubby and me to a part of the Florida backwoods we'd never seen before. (So new, in fact, that I nearly skipped the race out of fear that I'd get lost...)
- We followed that up with a hike in the Naval Live Oaks National Park
- May: Audubon Park in New Orleans.
- June: Another two-fer!
- I ventured into new neighborhoods and new-to-me museums while in Washington, DC.
- Hubby and I went back to Gulf Shores, AL for an "adventure day" of exploring new beaches, shops, and restaurants.
- July: A whirlwind weekend trip to Jacksonville and St. Augustine
- August: Spelunking in Florida Caverns State Park and hiking through Falling Waters State Park
- September: Battleship museum in Mobile, AL
|Spelunking in Florida Caverns SP|
Goal - New 2 U Cross Training Challenge:
Just ask Kim...
- January: burpees
- February: cardio kickboxing
- March: stability ball strength training
- April: 100 ups
- May: I skipped it! (skipping drills to improve running form)
- June: shredded
- July: Cross training pays off! (I found $10 buried in the sand while snorkeling.)
- August: I got back in the pool for some long-overdue lap swimming, and I suppose spelunking counts, too!
- September: Pool running, aqua jogging, pooling... whatever you call running under water
If so, what's your progress to date?